Print this Page

About Us

Gayton Elementary, located in the Tuckahoe District, is named after the Village of Gayton, located where the Kingsley subdivision stands today, developed around a coal mine. The first recorded owners of the Gayton coal mine, which may have operated as early as 1800, were members of the Ellis family. In 1837, the Tuckahoe and James River Railroad was built to haul coal from the mines along Tuckahoe Creek to the James River and Kanawha Canal. (It was this access to the coal deposits, coupled with the growing iron industry, that were prime factors in Richmond’s selection of the current capital city). Water seepage began to take its toll on the mines, and following an explosion in 1912, the coal mines were permanently closed.

Permanent link to this article: https://gayton.henricoschools.us/about-us/